October Component of the Month Design Challenge Reveal - Sugar Skulls
Another month in the history books...and what a fantastic month it was! Art Jewelry Elements got a facelift, a new name, and a shiny new website mid-October. Now we are Art Elements. And for the month of October, I got to host the component of the month design challenge. I decided to try my hand at making lampwork sugar skulls. They are pretty simple compared to the real deal, and compared to other component makers. However, my talent is NOT in fine detail. That kind of shit makes me insane, but I'm very glad there are others out there who do love to do fine detail so I can admire their work.
Anyway, my first inclination is almost always to make a necklace. That is my personal jewelry of choice to wear every single time. Earrings that have any weight at all hurt my ears and everything else gets in my way. However, I really wanted to do something that wasn't a necklace. So I started googling ideas for making a brooch. I found several styles that I desperately want to try my hand at, but a safety pin brooch seemed to be the style that made the most sense for this bead. But I didn't want to buy a premade safety pin. I came across a spiral safety pin tutorial on Etsy by JustynaJewellery that I decided to buy. At just $2.99, that tutorial is worth every penny.
First I tried a practice pin in copper. It was pretty much mangled. Even so, I did the second one in sterling silver then used Jax Pewter Black patina, tumbled, then polished with steel wool. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It's been a long time since I've done any kind of wire work outside of a regular wrapped loop. I forgot how difficult it is to bend 16g to your will...
The other thing I wanted to do was have it so the skull didn't slide around too much on the pin. (just an FYI~the tutorial I bought is a 2-for-1 tutorial and includes a way to make loops in the pin so things don't slide around. I don't particularly like that look and also didn't want all that much dangly bits.) I also wanted my brooch to look different that many of the others I've seen. So I took a piece of purple sari silk and wire wrapped it to the pin. Then I added the skull to the pin, got more wire and some red (don't recall which red) swarovski crystals and wire wrapped and added beads. I really love how it looks, but I don't feel like it's too secure. So I will probably redo that part and see if I can it so it feels more secure.
Then I added the skull to the pin, got more wire and some red (don't recall which red) swarovski crystals and wire wrapped and added beads. I really love how it looks, but I don't feel like it's too secure. So I will probably redo that part and see if I can it so it feels more secure. Anyway, overall, I'm pretty happy with the design, just not with the structural integrity of the wire wrapped around the sari silk.
This is a blog hop hosted on Art Elements with several others participating in the design challenge. Please visit the other designers and see what the've made with my sugar skulls and leave comments sharing what you love about them.
Art Elements Team
Jen Cameron <-----------You are here