May Component of the Month Reveal
Here we are again, the end of another month (how is that even possible??????) and it's time for a component of the month reveal. This month Sue Kennedy of Sue Beads provided these super cute teeny tiny little glass cabs for us to use (pssst! She has several in her Etsy shop!). And let me just say, this might have been the most challenging component of the month for me personally in the several years we have been doing component of the month at Art Jewelry Elements.
To start, I had no clue how I was going to attach the cab to anything. I decided I didn't want to do bead embroidery. Maybe tab set the cabs? But I wasn't loving that idea. Then as I was telling Lesley I couldn't think of a single thing to do, I suddenly had an aha moment....resin. So I got out my bullet journal, some scrapbook paper I liked, and started brainstorming.
The paper and resin idea gave way to a metal and resin idea. So I had several ideas and three cabs to use...a star, diamond, and heart. I have two projects to show today, but unfortunately they are both works in progress (WIPs).
For the metal and resin, I planned on enameling the metal first. So with the plan to use the diamond shaped cab (more on this in a moment...), I cut out this shape, punched holes, and drew around the diamond cab in the approximate place I wanted it to be so that when I used the dimpling pliers, I avoided that area.
Below you can see the various stages of completion. Top left: after dimpling pliers. Bottom: testing out enamel color combinations on scrap copper. Top right: enameling the piece.
So after I completed the enameling, and it was cooling, I remembered I need to wash the diamond shaped cab because it had sharpie marker on it. And then disaster struck. I dropped it. In the sink. Right down the drain. ARGH!!!!!! Sigh. Change of plan then. I had intended to use the star cab on paper. But decided the start would look fine as part of the enameled piece and the heart could go on the paper.
Next I glued the cab in place. Normally I wouldn't do that, but the type of resin I wanted to use (Lisa Pavelka Magic Gloss) requires UV light to cure. So I needed to make sure the star was at least temporarily glued down before adding the resin. Once the glue was dry, I added resin to one side, cured it with a UV light, then the other side. I'm very happy with how it turned out and know exactly how I will finish it off when I have a chance to do it.
Next up, I wanted to do a paper and resin mixed media pendant. First I punched out circle shaped paper. Next I cut some annealed steal wire and coiled it into about the same size as the paper, adding a spiral to one end, leaving the other end long for when it's ready to be wrapped into a pendant. I added a thin layer of resin to both sides of the paper and attached the wire to the paper, then let it cure. For these I used ICE resin.
Once these were dry, I spent time trying to come up with a pleasing composition. It took a long time. Here is the composition I finally decided on before the pour.
After the pour:
I really haven't used resin much in the past, so this was mostly playtime for me. I was shocked when my flatback swarovskis suddenly looked flat. Eek! I didn't want THAT effect! But here's what it looked like after sitting in the warm outdoors for about 30 minutes:
The swarovskis don't look flat any more! Phew!
This is obviously not finished. There will be some clean-up involved plus the wire wrapped into a pendant. I'm pretty happy with it so far, especially it being my first time trying something like this.
Several other people had the opportunity to play with these components. Definitely take a few minutes to visit each blog to see what each person created: